Henri Toussaint
Barye Monument, Paris
1905
Scroll
Henri Toussaint
Barye Monument, Paris
1905
Physical Qualities
Watercolor over graphite on paper, Sheet: 221 x 311 mm. (8 11/16 x 12 1/4 in.)
Credit Line
The George A. Lucas Collection, purchased with funds from the State of Maryland, Laurence and Stella Bendann Fund, and contributions from individuals, foundations, and corporations throughout the Baltimore community
Object Number
1996.48.18790
Construction of the Barye Monument began in 1891 and was completed three years later. Incorporated into its design was a medallion portrait of the artist and versions of several of his most famous works. Located at the east end of the Île Saint-Louis in the Seine River, it is symbolically placed mid-way between Barye’s house on the quai des Célestins and the Jardin des Plantes, or zoological gardens, where he acquired his profound knowledge of the animal kingdom.
Toussaint, a painter in oil and watercolor as well as an etcher, was recognized for his renderings of architectural views of Paris, Amiens, and Rouen. Lucas played a central role in the creation of this monument of which this watercolor is a souvenir.
The Baltimore Museum of Art by purchase, 1996; The Maryland Institute College of Art,
through Henry Walters, Baltimore, by bequest 1909; from George A. Lucas, Paris
through Henry Walters, Baltimore, by bequest 1909; from George A. Lucas, Paris
A View Toward Paris: The Lucas Collection of 19th-Century French Art
Inscribed: lower left in watercolor: "A Monsieur Lucas/son amicalement dévoué / H T 06"