Mosaic Columns
Former BMA Lighting Designer Kel Millionie's Perspective
Looking Up and Around
Mosaics as Connection to the Past
Louis Comfort Tiffany, Manufacturer: Tiffany Studios
Date:
1905
Medium:
Favrile glass mosaic tiles, concrete, gilded plaster capitals with embedded glass jewels
Size:
Depth: 24 1/2″
Width: 24 1/2″
Height: 134 1/2″
Many “modern” objects are inextricably tied to the past. In the late 1890s, Louis Comfort Tiffany gained international acclaim for iridescent objects recalling the luxuries of ancient Rome, Pompeii, and Constantinople. These two columns are covered with thousands of Favrile glass tesserae (tiles) in shades ranging from peacock to midnight blue to black. At the top, Tiffany’s tile setters used golden “Cypriot” glass tiles to create a grid pattern festooned with opulent cords and tassels that recall the upholstery trimmings found on furniture of the same period as the columns. Tiffany developed the finely pitted surface of Cypriot glass to evoke time-worn, eroded glass shards excavated in archeological digs on the island of Cyprus.
The BMA’s two columns are part of a group of six that originally decorated the Tiffany Studios showrooms at Fifth Avenue and 37th Street. A pamphlet celebrating Louis Comfort Tiffany’s new retail location described the columns’ style as “Pompeiian Ionic order.” (The capitals and bases are actually made of plaster and concrete rather than marble.) When Tiffany Studios declared bankruptcy in 1932, the six columns were moved to Tiffany’s estate on Long Island. After the main house burned in 1957, the columns, which had been stored in a stable, eventually came to market.
Purchase with exchange funds from Gift of Dr. and Mrs. James Bing, Baltimore, and Young Friends of the American Wing Fund BMA 1989.79.1-2